Community Outreach and Charitable Initiatives
From ESSCO Wiki
A list of the various charity activities that schools run. If you are interested in finding out more about any of these activities feel free to contact the VP External of that school for more information.
- Charity LAN and Magic the gathering tournament
- This is a 24 hour LAN party with a Magic the gathering tournament run alongside. We host some specific game tournaments like Starcraft 2. The winners of the tournaments receive minor prizes like free tickets to our comedy night or similar fun-style events. All participants pay $10 for a ticket and they bring their own computers. There is only about $200 of overhead costs that are paid by CSES so the entirety of the ticket sales go to charity. The money from ticket sales is then used to buy board games, video games, and other fun stuff for the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (similar to Sick Kids). The Fall 2012 LAN raised about $970.
- Food drive with the frosh
- Teeter Totor
- Bus Pull - Teams of about 10 to 20 people register to pull a school bus around the Agora Circle in front of the university. The team with the fastest time wins a prize. Each team pays an entrance fee when they register - this money all goes towards Big Brother Big Sister.
- Bus Pull: Pulling a city bus through downtown Hamilton, on Main Street, to raise money for Shinerama. Eng Reps (upper year students) pull the bus one way, while first year students collect money. On another leg of the journey, first years pull the bus while upper years support them.
- Santa Hog: Engineering students go around to classrooms for the day, singing Christmas carols that have been "engineered" to suit Engineering. Santa tags along and keeps the crowd excited!
- Go Nut's: Rotary club of Kingston drives them around to sell cans of nuts
- Fix it clean: Surrounding community asks for volunteers to fix or clean items for them
- Snow Fort Building Competition between Queen's and RMC
- Bug Push: Push a Volkswagon beetle for 24 hours, lots of publicity, and use online donations
- Semi-formal add on: Auction swag to raise money
- Epic Meal Time
- Hair cuts for money
- Professional outreach day for girls
- "Operation Clean Sweep"
University of Ottawa
- Relay for Life
University of Waterloo
- Charity Head Shave: At the end of Orientation week frosh can bid to shave off the crazy hair styles of the frosh week leaders
- Change for Change: A week long charity change drive competition between the graduating years
- Purple for Charity: People collect pledges to purple themselves
- Pancake Breakfast
Women in Engineering
- Girl Guide Badge Day
University of Western
- EPIC PULL (Fire Truck Pull)
- Eng Crush: Steam roller crushes things for money
- Charity on the Rocks: Raffles and bands night
University of Windsor
- Halloween Event: Cover from the event is collected and donated to local charity
- Hosting high school design competitions
- ISEYL - Innovation Station; Engineering Your Life
- Computer Smash: Collect money to smash computers